EPISODE 4: NET BASICS
ABOUT THIS EPISODE
Newly diagnosed? Or need to brush up on your NET basics? Medical oncologist and NET expert Dr. Andrew Hendifar of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center addresses 10 common questions including labs, scans, genetic testing, and prognosis.
MEET DR. ANDREW HENDIFAR
The current research focus of Andrew Hendifar, MD, is on developing new therapies for pancreatic cancer and neuroendocrine tumors. Dr. Hendifar has helped form multidisciplinary teams that specialize in the treatments of pancreatic cancer, and carcinoid and neuroendocrine tumors. Dr. Hendifar is the primary investigator for several groundbreaking therapies, including radioimmunotherapy for neuroendocrine tumors, anti-inflammatory therapy for pancreatic cancer and novel approaches to cancer cachexia. His national roles include SWOG GI Committee Member and a member of NIH Neuroendocrine Tumor Task Force. He also serves on the steering committee member for the Precision Promise Consortium and chairs the associated Supportive Care Committee. At Cedars Sinai he leads the Gastrointestinal Disease Research Group and is the founding Director of the Hematology and Oncology Fellowship Program.
TOP 10 NET BASICS QUESTIONS
1. I’ve just been diagnosed with NET. What do I need to know? (3:45)
2. What do I do now? (4:53)
3. What causes NET? (Did I do anything to cause it? Does stress cause NET?) What makes NET tumors grow or spread? (7:40)
4. Is it genetic/should I have genetic testing? Do my family members need to get screened or tested for NET? (12:34)
5. How long do I have? (15:55)
6. How do I know if my tumors are growing or spreading? (20:19)
7. What labs do I need to have and how often? What tumor markers should I be getting? What does it mean if my Chromogranin A is high? (26:00)
8. What scans do I need to have and how often? Should I be getting a CT scan or MRI? What’s the difference? (29:37)
9. How do I know if my tumors are functional or nonfunctional? (33:17)
10. How can we as patients or caregivers help YOU as our NET oncologist make the appointment go better (or help you do your job better)? (41:24)
11. *Bonus: How might I prepare for the appointment? What’s the best way to communicate? (43:35)
ADDITIONAL NET BASICS RESOURCES
NETS 101 - Dr. Sandy Kotiah
"What to Expect with a NET Expert Consultation" with Dr. Heloisa Soares
"Qué esperar de una consulta de expertos de NET" con Dr. Heloisa Soares (Spanish)
"Manejo Sintomatico de los Tumores Neuroedocrinos Funcionales" - Dr. Jaydira Del Rivero (Spanish)
"Symptom Management" with Dr. Jaydira Del Rivero
LACNETS Podcasts are created for educational purposes only and do not substitute for medical advice. The views shared in this Podcast are the personal opinions of the experts and do not necessarily reflect the views of LACNETS. Please contact your medical team with questions or concerns about your individual care or treatment.